Dearborn hotel shooting suspect in custody after lengthy negotiations, police say
The suspect in the shooting that took place in downtown Dearborn, Michigan, on Thursday is in custody after several hours of negotiations.
Police officials said Thursday night that the shooter had been taken into custody and the investigation will continue. Michigan Avenue, the site of the shooting, was opened back up as of 7 a.m. Friday.
DC DEPUTY MAYOR PLACED ON LEAVE FOLLOWING ALLEGED ASSAULT
Dearborn Police Chief Issa Shahin said that there was one fatality, a 55-year-old man who was a clerk at the Hampton Inn hotel where the shooting took place.
Police confirmed on Thursday afternoon that the shooting occurred over a dispute between the hotel clerk and the suspect concerning a bill.
Negotiations were underway as of 4:15 p.m., possibly sooner, and were resolved around 8:45 p.m.
The barricaded gunman has been taken into custody without incident. Michigan Ave is still closed and will be as the investigation continues. This will be our final update. pic.twitter.com/7qVzhD9fwX
— MSP Second District (@mspmetrodet) October 7, 2022
Police said the suspect, a 38-year-old man, has a history of mental illness and drug abuse. He was armed with a rifle, and police said he threatened them multiple times.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Dearborn police added that they had been in contact with the suspect’s family during the negotiation process. No one else was hurt during that time frame.