WATCH: Fox News host defends FBI’s Trump Mar-a-Lago raid

0
8

Fox News host Steve Doocy defended the Justice Department’s decision to have the FBI execute a search warrant on former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, rejecting claims the raid may have been used to score political points ahead of the midterm elections.

“Mistakes were made. But we have reset it,” Doocy said on Fox and Friends on Thursday, referring to the Biden administration’s efforts to boost Democratic candidates before November. “Joe Biden’s administration made the mistake, but Joe Biden’s administration is going to save us all. So that’s the new midterm thinking. … All that stuff is just spin for the midterms.”

JOHN BOLTON SAYS MAR-A-LAGO RAID AFFIDAVIT ‘SHOULDN’T BE RELEASED’

“Also raids. Random raids in the middle of August,” co-host Todd Piro replied.

“I don’t think it was so random,” Doocy said.

The exchange comes after FBI agents found several classified documents during their search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence last week, with some documents being considered the highest level of classification, according to the unsealed search warrant documents.

Although the search warrant was unsealed on Friday, the affidavit detailing the justification for such a search has not been released — prompting criticism from several Republicans and from Trump. On his Truth Social platform, Trump demanded the “immediate release” of the affidavit “in the interest of TRANSPARENCY.”

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

The Justice Department argued making the affidavit public would cause “irreparable harm” to its criminal investigation, subject witnesses to threats, and deter further witness cooperation. The unsealed warrant showed the former president is being investigated for possible violations of the Espionage Act and obstruction of justice.

The magistrate judge overseeing the case, Bruce Reinhart, is set to hold a 1 p.m. hearing on Thursday on whether to unseal other documents, including the affidavit.