It’s Time for a Positive Message from Republicans
Posted: Sep 15, 2022 1:26 AM
The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Townhall.com.
There is a core rottenness seething in America right now, and, I confess, I’ve been pretty negative in my posts to Townhall. A vital election is approaching, and exposing the failures of Biden and the Democrats is a monumental priority. But the American people WILL be wary of nothing but negativity; that isn’t what they want. They need to be given a vision, they have a right to know, not just how bad Biden has been, but what the Republicans intend to do to turn the country around. The GOP plan must be clear, distinct, optimistic, universal. Here are some succinct suggestions for a positive message Republican office-seekers can take to the American people.
1. On inflation. What are the Republicans going to do about this Biden-caused catastrophe? A vision of free-market economics, fair competition, and lower taxes and regulations for all needs to be articulated. And, above all, defunding Joe Biden’s wasteful government programs. More government dollars in circulation only causes prices to rise—more money chasing an equal or diminishing amount of goods produces inflation. The Republicans must insist they will cut non-essential government spending, e.g., the subsidizing of green energy programs. Let the greenies compete in the free market of ideas and convince the American people that is the direction to go. The free market is the way back to lower inflation. Republicans must demonstrate this.
2. Secure America’s borders. Republicans need to make it plain that they do NOT oppose legal immigration, only illegal immigration. Anyone in the world is welcome to our shores as long as they do it legally, submit to our laws, and agree to respect and honor America and its culture, traditions, and history. Those who do not do so will be put on the next plane back to their home country and not invited back. In addition, the federal government should spearhead efforts to stop illegal immigration. If it takes a wall, then build one.
3. Law and order. The number one purpose of the government is to protect its citizens from threats, foreign and domestic. The Democratic Party is doing an absolutely horrible job on crime in American cities. Republicans must convince the American people that there will be security for everyone and their families, and that halting the heinous, Democratic Party-caused crime wave across the country is of the highest import. WE WILL PROTECT OUR PEOPLE!! That should be the message. Criminals will be punished and locked away, and all the sophisticated cries of “racism” will not deter, for one minute, the justice system from doing its duty, i.e., safeguarding innocent Americans from human scum. Anyone in the justice system, from the lowliest policeman to the head of the DHS, will be removed if they will not do their job.
4. Proper education. Republicans must let parents know that public schools will do what parents are paying them to do, viz., educate children and prepare them to enter the workforce and be productive citizens. The public schools must not be the haven of leftist ideologies or, worse, pedophiles who prey on children in order to fulfill their deviant lifestyles and lusts. And if the public schools won’t fulfill their mission, parents must be provided vouchers to send their children to private schools who WILL do the job of proper education. Our youth need to be shielded from the vultures, deviants, and mutants who are trying to entrap them into decadent, godless philosophies. Or parents should be offered an alternative.
5. A return to energy independence. Republicans should inform Americans that they are not opposed to renewable energy, it is actually a great idea, but it just isn’t viable and affordable right now. Moving towards it is fine, but don’t destroy the American economy and the middle-class in an ill-fated attempt to get there overnight. We need fossil fuels at present. Restore oil drilling. Open the Keystone pipeline. Return to American energy independence while working toward a cleaner environmental future. It makes sense and the American people will support it.
6. The strongest, most modern military possible. The armed forces are not a classroom for social engineering. There are evil people in the world who would just love to destroy the United States of America. The Republicans must tell the American people that they will build the strongest, leanest, meanest military machine possible, so that those people who wish to do us harm will suffer greatly if they mess with us and our interests. That is the ONLY purpose of the military. But also let it be known that not every country or region of the world IS vital to us. Other countries need to learn to take care of themselves, we can’t always do it for them. America’s resources are not limitless. Our leaders must diligently strive to keep the peace, and use our military sparingly, and only in the best interests of the United States. And let the rest of the world fend for themselves. We can’t, and shouldn’t, solve everybody’s problems.
7. A return to God, decency, honor, virtue, and respect for human life. These are traits without which no republic can survive for long. Nothing is more critical than instilling these qualities into the breasts of every citizen, but, inexcusably, they are absent from the mouth—and life—of almost every political leader. That is a shame of unprecedented proportions. James Madison: “I go on this great republican principle, that the people will have virtue and intelligence to select men of virtue and wisdom…to suppose that any form of government will secure liberty without virtue in the people, is a chimerical [fanciful] idea.” A rotten people will elect rotten representatives and spawn a rotten nation. That is my biggest fear for America right now—has virtue vanished from our republic?
Republicans have much to do to secure victory this fall. Enumerating a positive, healthy agenda is a first step.
Mark Lewis is a native Texan currently living in Thailand. He has a Master’s degree in history and has taught history and English in America, South Korea, and China. His first book, Whitewater, a western novel, was recently published, and is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Eliva.com.